PUTRAJAYA, March 13 — The outbreak of H5N1 (bird flu) virus in Kampung Pulau Tebu, Tunjong, Kota Baru, Kelantan is only limited to kampung chicken, not commercial chicken.
Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek said 70 per cent of chicken meat in Kelantan came from disease free states while 30 per cent was from farms situated more than 24 kilometres from the scene.
“This means that chicken is safe to eat,” he told reporters after presenting excellent service awards at Wisma Tani here, today.
The same applies for the eggs in which 100 per cent was from outside Kelantan and thus safe for consumption.
The H5N1 virus was contained in a 15 kilometre zone in Kota Baru district.
Some 2,438 chicken and 860 eggs were destroyed in a 24-hour operation since March 5 involving 184 officers of the Veterinary Services Department (VSD).
Ahmad Shabery did not rule out possibility that the H5N1 infection in Kota Bharu was due to it being not far from the country’s border.
He advised breeders against getting chicken from countries with record of bird flu as they have to undergo quarantine.
Importers of Malaysia chicken and eggs such as Japan, Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iraq, Macau, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Maldives, Saudi Arabia and Timor Leste had been told of the situation. — Bernama.