VK Sasikala, Now In Bengaluru Jail, Seeks Meditation Space, Some Non-Veg Food

CHENNAI: VK Sasikala this evening drove up to a prison in Bengaluru where she has been sentenced to four years in prison for corruption in a case that involves J Jayalalithaa, the Chief Minister who died in December and was the leader of Tamil Nadu’s ruling party, the AIADMK. Wearing a brown sari, the 61-year-old left Chennai in the morning after stopping to pay tribute at Ms Jayalalithaa’s memorial, where, her party said, she took “a mighty vow” to triumph over the “conspiracy and back-stabbing” that has led the outfit to break into two unequal factions.

She is now a prisoner at the same jail where Ms Jayalalithaa and she were kept for about three weeks in 2014 when they were first convicted for corruption. Sources said Ms Sasikala has asked for a cell that comes with a table and a fan, a couple of non-vegetarian meals every week, a space to meditate, and guaranteed round-the-clock medical assistance if sought.

Last evening, Ms Sasikala broke down as she addressed about 120 legislators at a resort in Chennai which, as of about five days ago, has turned into a party outpost. “They can imprison me, but they cannot imprison my care for you,” she told them, adding, “wherever I am, I will be with the party.”

Ms Sasikala, till last morning, was plotting to be Chief Minister, but the Supreme Court nullified those plans by stating that in the early 90s, during Ms Jayalalithaa’s first term in office, the women conspired on a get-rich-quick scheme that included forcing owners of real estate to sell them land at big discounts. Along with Ms Sasikala, her nephew Sudhakaran (adopted by Ms Jayalalithaa only to be disowned a year later) and sister-in-law Ilavarasi, who drove to Bengaluru with her today, were also convicted.

Immediately after the verdict, Ms Sasikala devoted her attention to ordering a complete rebuild of the AIADMK’s top line-up. In place of her, the party’s new presumptive Chief Minister is her loyalist, E Palanisamy. She remains General Secretary; her nephew, TTV Dinakaran is her deputy. In 2011, he was among 12 members of Ms Sasikala’s family, apart from her husband and her, who were expelled from the AIADMK by Ms Jayalalithaa, who indicted them for working against her and the party. Three months later, to return to the AIADMK and Ms Jayalalithaa’s home, which she shared for more than 20 years, Ms Sasikala apologized and disowned the men in her family.

At Ms Jayalalithaa’s funeral, however, her husband, controversial entrepreneur M Natarajan, was conspicuous in the crowd. Party insiders were astounded, but on record, the AIADMK said a grief-stricken Sasikala, who performed her mentor’s last rites, needed all the support she could get.

Even before the funeral, Ms Sasikala had chosen O Panneerselam to take over as Chief Minister. He had stood in for Ms Jayaalithaa while she was alive, including during her jailing in 2014. He was known for his abject devotion which manifested in traits like refusing, as a show of deference, to occupy her office or spot in the legislature when he was filling in.

With him running the government, the party placed Ms Sasikala firmly at its centre, appointing her General Secretary, which was Ms Jayalalithaa’s title for nearly 20 years. Then, the AIADMK decided that just like her predecessor, Ms Sasikala should twin as Chief Minister. Mr Panneerselvam wrote a letter of resignation to Governor C Vidyasagar Rao and was asked to – once again – fill in as Chief Minister till Ms Sasikala went through the formalities of taking charge.

A rush of disruptors, however, emerged suddenly. The Supreme Court said it was ready to rule on her case; public opinion surged against Ms Sasikala’s ascension because of her political inexperience and her family’s allegedly dodgy business dealings; Mr Panneerselvam strode away from Ms Jayalalithaa’s shore-side memorial to state he wanted to keep the gig.

Ms Sasikala retaliated by packing about 120 state legislators or MLAs to the resort where they remain largely sequestered, despite stating on cue for cameras that their stay is voluntary. Mr Panneerselvam began sourcing support, and now has 11 MLAs on his team.

As Ms Sasikala starts her jail sentence, her party awaits the Governor’s decision on whether the man she has chosen as proxy -Mr Palanisamy- will be asked to take oath and then a trust vote. Both he and Mr Panneerselvam have been asked to meet the Governor tonight. Ms Sasikala, in Bengaluru, will start her term as Prisoner number 9234.

14 thoughts on “VK Sasikala, Now In Bengaluru Jail, Seeks Meditation Space, Some Non-Veg Food

• October 20, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Hey there! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I needed to ask. Does running a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work? I’m completely new to running a blog however I do write in my diary everyday. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

• October 24, 2017 at 9:53 am

Iím not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Many thanks

• November 4, 2017 at 12:11 am

I am curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing? I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any suggestions?

• November 16, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I’ve been surfing online greater than three hours nowadays, yet I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

• November 17, 2017 at 3:45 am

Hey there, you are absolutely correct. I frequently read through your articles thoroughly. I am furthermore curious about Arvind Pandit Kansas, maybe you could discuss that occasionally. See you soon!

• November 18, 2017 at 7:03 am

You’re completely right, I would like to learn more on the issue! I am as well interested in bluestacks free download as I feel it is really quite trendy presently. Great!

• November 18, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Hi! I recently discovered this amazing site and I truly enjoy it. I always like to focus on vshare iphone download at times. Great to be around, thanks a lot!

• November 18, 2017 at 7:52 pm

There’s great modifications on the structure of the blog, I honestly love this. Mine is on the subject of 9apps video and generally there are a lot of stuff to do, I am still a novice in website development. Take care!

• November 22, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Thank you very much for sharing the idea, I saved this site. I’m also seeking info around iPhone cases online, have you any idea the place where I might discover a thing such as that? I will be back in a little while!

• November 23, 2017 at 8:16 am

There are certainly remarkable improvements on the layout of the site, I truly like that! My own is relating to real estate for sale and right now there are quite a lot of things to be done, I’m currently a newbie in web development. Cheers!

• November 23, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Hi, I am truly delighted I found out your web page, I really discovered you by error, while I was researching on Yahoo for best home intercom system. Anyways I am here right now and would simply enjoy to say cheers for a tremendous write-up and the all round exciting website (I too love the theme/design), I do not have time to go through it entirely at the moment however I have bookmarked it and even included the RSS feed, so whenever I have plenty of time I’ll be back to read much more. Make sure you do maintain the wonderful job.

• November 24, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

• November 26, 2017 at 2:14 am

Greetings! I recently noticed your site and I certainly enjoy it. I also always like to chat about instagram followers and likes occasionally. Good to be around, bless you!

• November 26, 2017 at 1:25 pm