Foreign Media On PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Masterstroke’ Cash Ban

Cash may no longer be king in India. The nation’s nascent digital economy stands to be the biggest beneficiary from its strongest crackdown on corruption since 1978.

In a surprise announcement late Tuesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi banned 500-rupee ($7.50) and 1,000-rupee notes effective midnight, sweeping away 86 percent of total currency in circulation.

Paytm, India’s largest digital wallet startup, hailed the move in the morning newspapers as it splashed Modi’s photograph in a full-page advertisement.

“This is the golden age to be a tech entrepreneur in India. Specially a fintech one,” tweeted Vijay Shekhar Sharma, the founder of Paytm, whose investors include Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. “Keep the money digital.”

In a nation where 98 percent of consumer payments are still made in cash and about a quarter of the $2 trillion economy is unaccounted for, Modi’s pushing for electronic transactions to improve transparency. The latest move is estimated to more than double annual growth at payment companies.

Transaction volumes at companies including Itz Cash Card Ltd. could increase about 120 percent each year over the next few years instead of the 50 percent gain previously estimated, said Managing Director Naveen Surya, who’s also chairman of representative body Payments Council of India. “This is a strong and loud signal that physical cash is no longer welcome.”

India’s technology services trade body Nasscom termed Modi’s move a “masterstroke,” and Bhavish Aggarwal, co-founder and chief executive of ride-sharing app Ola, said it’s the first major step toward a cashless economy.

Paytm will achieve its three-year targets within one year, Sharma told Mint newspaper. Freecharge saw an “unprecedented” 12-fold jump overnight in its average wallet balance, the company said in a statement on Wednesday.
Consumption Hit

Stocks and the rupee — already hit by the possibility of a Donald Trump victory at the U.S. presidential elections — slumped on Wednesday as investors grappled with a potential near – term drop in consumption. Global giant Amazon.com Inc.’s India unit said it would no longer accept the scrapped notes for existing orders. Cash-on-delivery has been the preferred payment method for more than half of total transactions in India’s e-commerce industry.

The impact also risks hurting rural India, where demand has just been recovering after healthy rainfall this year following back-to-back droughts. About 75 percent of the population live in villages, mainly earning daily wages in cash.

To bring each of India’s 1.3 billion citizens into the financial system and remove unaccounted cash, Modi started a massive campaign in 2015 to open no-frills bank accounts. He’s betting that this initiative, together with biometric identifiers to cut illegal payments and more mobile payments, will ensure a cashless future and reduce opportunities for graft.

India is also planning to ban cash transactions of more than 500,000 rupees, said people with knowledge of the matter, asking not to be identified as they aren’t authorized to speak with the media.

It’s crucial for Modi to be seen tackling corruption before state elections next year and a national contest in 2019. Concern about corruption has risen to levels last seen before Modi swept to power in 2014, a Pew survey showed in September, though Modi still remains India’s most favored leader.

Tuesday’s “bold move will push all those fence-sitters to make a jump into the world of mobile and digital banking,” Ashutosh Khajuria, chief financial officer at Federal Bank Ltd. said in a phone interview. “The learning curve will be steeper and faster as this innovative move has pushed people against a wall and is forcing them to change transactions into lesser cash intensive ones.”

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

19 thoughts on “Foreign Media On PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Masterstroke’ Cash Ban

• October 20, 2017 at 2:06 pm

whoah this weblog is magnificent i love studying your posts. Stay up the great paintings! You know, many persons are searching round for this information, you can help them greatly.

• October 24, 2017 at 10:22 am

I not to mention my friends were actually following the great pointers from your web blog while unexpectedly I got an awful feeling I had not thanked the blog owner for them. All the men ended up totally very interested to see them and now have very much been taking advantage of these things. I appreciate you for simply being well considerate as well as for deciding upon this form of perfect information most people are really eager to know about. My personal sincere regret for not saying thanks to earlier.

• October 30, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Excellent items from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you’ve got right here, really like what you are stating and the best way through which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to stay it wise. I cant wait to learn much more from you. That is really a great website.

• November 2, 2017 at 7:23 am

Thanks a ton for discussing the idea, I saved this webpage. I’m additionally in need of material about motivational thoughts, do you know exactly where I can find one thing such as that? I’ll come back very soon!

• November 3, 2017 at 1:41 pm

You are absolutely correct, I’d love to know new info on that subject! I am also captivated by android apps as I think it is quite cool nowadays. Keep doing this!

• November 3, 2017 at 11:12 pm

An attention-grabbing discussion is worth comment. I believe that you need to write extra on this subject, it won’t be a taboo topic but usually people are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

• November 16, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

• November 17, 2017 at 12:59 am

I am really intrigued to know what site system you have been utilizing? I am experiencing several minor protection issues with my latest website dealing with Arvind Pandit Kansas and I would love to find a thing more secure. Have you got any alternatives?

• November 18, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I was conversing with a good friend of my own regarding this article and regarding luck patcher apk too. I do think you made a lot of good points on this page, we’re also excited to find out more stuff from you.

• November 23, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Hi and thanks for the wonderful article! I truly appreciated finding out about it.I will make sure to save the site and will often return very soon. I wish to encourage that you keep going with the fine job, perhaps talk about best home intercom system also, have a nice day!

• November 26, 2017 at 10:36 am