Belgian scientists make novel water-from-urine machine

BRUSSELS, July 28 — A team of scientists at a Belgian university say they have created a machine that turns urine into drinkable water and fertiliser using solar energy, a technique which could be applied in rural areas and developing countries.

While there are other options for treating waste water, the system applied at the University of Ghent uses a special membrane, is said to be energy-efficient and to be applicable in areas off the electricity grid.

“We’re able to recover fertilizer and drinking water from urine using just a simple process and solar energy,” said University of Ghent researcher Sebastiaan Derese.

The urine is collected in a big tank, heated in a solar-powered boiler before passing through the membrane where the water is recovered and nutrients such as potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus are separated.

Under the slogan #peeforscience, the team recently deployed the machine at a 10-day music and theater festival in central Ghent, recovering 1,000 liters of water from the urine of revelers.

The aim is to install larger versions of the machine in sports venues or airports but also to take it to a rural community in the developing world where fertilisers and reliable drinking water are short in supply, Derese said.

As was the case with previous projects the research team was engaged in, the water recovered from the city festival will be used to make one of Belgium’s most coveted specialties – beer.

“We call it from sewer to brewer,” Derese said. — Reuters.

23 thoughts on “Belgian scientists make novel water-from-urine machine

• October 24, 2017 at 9:46 am

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

• November 3, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

• November 4, 2017 at 2:31 am

I simply must tell you that you have an excellent and unique post that I must say enjoyed reading.

• November 6, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I love reading through and I believe this website got some genuinely utilitarian stuff on it! .

• November 16, 2017 at 2:07 pm

We invite everyone to visit our spa and enjoy sensual massage. Women will look after for you. Comfortable rooms furnished with all necessary essential for complex massage. The power of massage body work surpasses the traditional means of fighting depression and fatigue. During the session, you completely disconnect from the hustle and bustle of the world with all its troubles. Pleasant body miss makes you forget about everything and concentrate only on having fun.

We created a wonderful atmosphere in workshop , to cause you to relax and a sense of detachment from the outside world. After you try one of our massages, you definitely want to come back here again. The most hot and playful massage therapist are waiting for you in Room .

Salon of erotic massage nj in Manhattan invites you to enjoy the art of relaxation. Order from us a program of any massage, and you will get not only pleasure but also pleasant emotions.

Visitors to Studio erotic massage price can find many questionnaires massage therapist of any age and nationality performing body to body massage in the city NJ.

Women are able not only to give pleasure in this way, but also to demonstrate their other abilities to men of the stronger sex. Girls perform nude a massage that will produce a On you a vivid impression.

Our showroom works in Connecticut – [url=https://erotic.massage-manhattan-club.com]erotic massage price[/url]

• November 16, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Hi superb blog! Does running a blog such as this require a lot of work? I have no understanding of computer programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject however I simply needed to ask. Thank you!

• November 17, 2017 at 2:20 am

You are completely right. I liked reviewing this info and I will return for more as quick as possible. My own website is on Arvind Pandit Kansas, you can have a look if you are still interested in this.

• November 18, 2017 at 4:19 pm

It was great to read this and I believe you’re really correct. Tell me if perhaps you are curious about best new year wishes, that’s my primary expertise. I am hoping to hear from you soon enough, cheers!

• November 20, 2017 at 10:43 am

502558 192409Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!? This internet page is really a walk-via for all with the info you needed about this and didn know who to ask. Glimpse proper here, and you l certainly uncover it. 405873

• November 22, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine regarding this article and also regarding lucky patcher ios as well. I feel you made a lot of great points on this page, we are excited to continue reading information from you.

• November 22, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I’m interested to discover just what blog system you are utilizing? I am having a few minor safety challenges with my most recent site dealing with lucky patcher apk free download so I would love to find a thing more risk-free. Are there any strategies?

• November 23, 2017 at 8:19 pm

I like what you people are up to. This sort of great effort and exposure! Keep up the amazing work guys, I have included you on my personal video intercom system site.

• November 25, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I personally came right here via a different web page on instagram followers and likes and considered I may as well look at this. I really like what I see so I am just following you. Looking forward to going over the website yet again.

• November 26, 2017 at 11:54 am