Police shoot dead gunman who killed four

GEORGE TOWN, July 14 — The police today shot dead a gunman who was suspected of killing a family of four, including a toddler, at the Air Itam Market here.

Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar tweeted that there was an exchange of fire at the market along Jalan Pasar here.

“Syabas STAFFOC @PDRMsia tumpaskan penjenayah selepas bbalas tembak di Air Itam Pg tadi. Spek disyaki tlibat kes bunuh 4 sekeluarga #GoPDRMGo,” Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar tweeted.

[Translation: Congratulations STAFFOC @PDRMsia for defeating the criminal after exchanging fire at Air Itam Pg just now. The suspect was allegedly involved in the murder of the family of four #GoPDRMGo].

STAFFOC refers to the special task force for organised crime.

The man shot dead by police, Chung Chun Wah, was suspected of murdering his mother, Tan Saw Sim, 55; his brother Chung Wah Thong, 27; his two-year-old nephew Ayden Chung; as well as his mother’s live-in partner Toh Hock Choon, 50.

According to Penang CID chief Datuk Razaruddin Husain, they had received a public tip off on Chung.

“We acted on the tip off and found him in a car at the junction but as our officers approached his car, he fired several shots at our officers through the front windshield,” he said.

What followed was a shootout between the suspect and police in the 7.05pm incident.

“After our officers determined that the situation [was] safe, they approached the car and found that he was shot dead in the exchange,” he told reporters at the scene.

The 32-year-old was believed to have used the same 9mm semi-automatic weapon that he allegedly used to kill four of his family members yesterday.

Razaruddin said they positively identified the suspect as Chung, who had ran off after the shooting incident at a poultry factory in Batu Maung yesterday.

No police officer was injured in the shootout, but Razaruddin said the forensic team will determine the number of shots fired.

Razaruddin said the multiple murder case, where the victims were shot at close range, was now considered solved,.

The 2.45am incident is believed to have erupted after an altercation between the suspect and his family members.