US brewery makes beer from recycled wastewater

LOS ANGELES, May 25 — There are more breweries in California than anywhere else in the nation.

That’s great for beer but not so great for another cherished liquid in the Golden State: water.

It takes as many as five pints of water to make a pint of beer, and in a state that has been battling a crippling drought for years, that ratio is a big problem.

Lenny Mendonca, owner of Half Moon Bay Brewing Co, thinks he has a solution. Instead of drawing more freshwater from California’s dwindling supply, he’s been experimenting with recycled wastewater from Nasa, which treats water nearby to simulate systems used on the International Space Station.

Some people make a face when they hear about it, but it’s an increasingly common consideration in water-starved California.

Places such as Orange County are already recycling some wastewater to be returned to the groundwater supply, slaking the thirst of millions of people.

Regulations on the sale of products made with recycled water currently bar Mendonca from selling his recycled-water beer, but he thinks those rules will change.

If and when they do, people may seek out Half Moon Bay’s beers for their ingenuity and environmental sensitivity. Recycled water could even become the brand’s biggest selling point. — Bloomberg

21 thoughts on “US brewery makes beer from recycled wastewater

• October 15, 2017 at 7:52 am

I have not checked in here for a while because I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are good quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

• October 16, 2017 at 9:55 am

You’re absolutely right and I totally understand you. If you want, we might as well speak around omega xl for pain, a thing that intrigues me. Your website is truly fantastic, best wishes!

• October 17, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Your means of telling all in this post is genuinely pleasant, all can without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.|

• October 31, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Cheers, here from baidu, me enjoyng this, I come back soon.

• November 3, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

• November 4, 2017 at 8:51 am

Respect to website author , some wonderful entropy.

• November 11, 2017 at 2:43 pm

It was amazing to read this info and I think you’re 100 correct. Tell me if you are involved in upvc sliding windows, that’s my major expertise. I really hope to hear from you soon enough, be careful!

• November 16, 2017 at 12:07 pm

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may just I want to suggest you few interesting issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to learn even more things approximately it!

• November 16, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I felt wonderful reading this and I believe you are completely correct. Tell me in the event that you’re involved in Arvind Pandit, that’s my principal competence. Hope to check back with you soon enough, bye for now!

• November 18, 2017 at 8:05 am

You’re absolutely right! I really liked reading this article and I will get back for more straight away. Our website is on the subject of garageband free, you might look if you’re still interested in that.

• November 18, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for writing the idea, I saved this webpage. I’m furthermore seeking guidance on free facetime app, have you any idea the place where I can discover something such as that? I will be back very soon!

• November 22, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Hey. I recently came across this amazing site and I really like it. I always like to talk about mobile number tracker with name occasionally. Great to be here, cheers!

• November 22, 2017 at 11:21 pm

You’re absolutely right and I totally trust you. Whenever you want, we might also chat around kik messenger online, one thing which fascinates me. The website is really brilliant, all the best!

• November 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

You are absolutely correct. I loved looking through this and I will get back for more soon. My own internet site is about intercom system, you can check it out if you are still interested in that.

• November 24, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Hello exceptional blog! Does running a blog like this take a massive amount work? I’ve very little expertise in programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I just wanted to ask. Thank you!

• November 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for another informative web site. The place else could

• November 25, 2017 at 10:11 pm

You’re completely correct. I really enjoyed reviewing this article and I will get back for more straight away. Our site is on the subject of more twitter followers, you might take a peek if you happen to be still interested in this.

• November 26, 2017 at 9:35 am