KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 22 — Police have arrested five men believed to be involved in two murder cases and an abduction in Kajang.
They were detained after Selangor police launched Ops Cantas Khas in Kajang, following a string of murders that took place in the last month.
Bukit Aman CID director Datuk Seri Mohmad Salleh said police seized four pistols and 69 bullets during two raids on Friday and Saturday.
“We believe the men were also involved in a series of robberies and drug-related cases,” he said.
Mohmad said the first suspect was arrested by a special task force in Bandar Sunway on Friday.
The suspect led police to his house in Taman Bukit Mewah, where they seized two stolen cars and two motorcycles alongside the pistols and bullets.
“Initial investigations suggested the pistols were used in the murder cases and an abduction on December 1, where the suspect opened fire,” he said.
Mohmad said the suspect’s accomplices were detained in Dengkil and Bangi between 12.15am and 5.30am.
“Two of them had criminal records but we have yet to identify the gunman out of the five,” he said.
“We suspect their motive was linked to revenge or gang rivalry.”
The suspects, in their late 20s, are being remanded until tomorrow.
On November 19, a stray bullet struck two-year-old R. Nisha in the head after her father, S. Ravichandran, was shot outside a barber-cum-florist shop in Jalan Besar, Semenyih. Police believed the bullet was meant for her father.
Nisha died on the spot, and Ravichandran, who was shot three times in the neck and thigh, died five days later.
On December 1, a man in his 30s, identified only as Sasitharan, was abducted near his house in Taman Pelangi, Semenyih.
He and his wife were leaving their home when four men fired shots at their car and bundled him into their car. Sasitharan is still missing.
Mohmad said police also detained 34 men for gang-related crimes, jewellery store robberies and drug-related activities during Ops Cantas Khas.
“The operation is ongoing,” he said. – MMO.