Australian, Briton jailed over brutal Bali cop killing

DENPASAR, March 13 — An Australian woman and her British DJ boyfriend were jailed today over the killing of a policeman who was beaten to death on a beach on the Indonesian resort island of Bali.

Sara Connor and David Taylor were convicted of the fatal group assault of officer Wayan Sudarsa, whose battered body was found in the popular tourist area of Kuta in August.

Connor, 46, was jailed for four years and Taylor, 34, was sentenced to six years.

Traffic policeman Sudarsa’s blood-soaked body was found covered with dozens of wounds on his neck, chest and head.

Taylor, whose stage name is DJ Nutzo, admitted getting into a fight with Sudarsa on the beach after accusing the officer of stealing Connor’s handbag, and hitting him with items including binoculars and a beer bottle.

However Taylor, who had messy dreadlocks when first arrested, claimed that he had been in “fear of his life” and acted in self-defence during the late-night brawl, and never intended to kill the officer.

Mother-of-two Connor had maintained her innocence, insisting she only intervened to try to break up the fight, but this was rejected by the judges who said she held down the victim as Taylor beat him.

“The defendant’s actions meant the victim could not get up and move his body to resist,” said I Wayan Sukanila, one of the judges ruling on Connor’s case.

Chief judge Made Pasek handed down the verdict and sentence in the Australian woman’s case, saying she had been “legally and convincingly proven guilty” of group assault causing death.

The verdict in Taylor’s case was handed down at a separate hearing shortly before.

Row over handbag

Their sentences were shorter than the eight years each previously recommended by prosecutors, and will be reduced by the seven months they have already served in detention.

Taylor said he accepted the sentence, but prosecutors said they would consider whether to appeal it.

Connor’s lawyer Erwin Siregar said he would suggest to his client that she appeal, telling reporters: “There are some parts of the verdict which do not correspond to the facts.”

The couple had been enjoying a romantic rendezvous on the beach when they realised that Connor’s handbag was missing. Taylor confronted Sudarsa and accused him of stealing the bag, which led to the fight.

They fled the scene but Connor’s driving licence and ATM card were found next to the body. Connor cut up the policeman’s identity cards taken from him during the killing and the couple also burnt the clothes they had been wearing on the night of the attack.

After police launched a massive manhunt for them, they took refuge in the Australian consulate in Bali but soon handed themselves over to local authorities.

Taylor and Connor, who are based in Australia and had been on holiday on Bali, had been accused of murder as well as two lesser charges, including fatal group assault.

But prosecutors said the pair, who were tried separately, should not be convicted of murder, recognising they did not intend to kill the officer.

A murder conviction would have carried a maximum jail term of 15 years.

Bali, a pocket of Hinduism in Muslim-majority Indonesia, is a popular tourist destination known for its tropical climate and palm-fringed beaches.

Minor crime is common but murders are rare. — AFP

17 thoughts on “Australian, Briton jailed over brutal Bali cop killing

• October 20, 2017 at 3:15 pm

There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in features also.

• October 24, 2017 at 9:57 am

The very heart of your writing while sounding reasonable originally, did not settle very well with me personally after some time. Someplace within the sentences you were able to make me a believer unfortunately just for a very short while. I nevertheless have a problem with your jumps in logic and one would do nicely to fill in those gaps. When you can accomplish that, I would definitely end up being fascinated.

• October 30, 2017 at 9:38 pm

I delight in, lead to I discovered exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• November 2, 2017 at 7:24 am

I actually came right here via a different website about daily quotes and imagined I may as well look into this. I like the things I see so now I”m following you. Getting excited about looking over your site back again.

• November 3, 2017 at 12:13 pm

You are certainly right and I trust you. Whenever you want, we could also talk around best headphones for gaming, a thing that intrigues me. The website is really brilliant, all the best!

• November 4, 2017 at 2:43 am

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!

• November 12, 2017 at 11:29 am

[url=http://www.lanapengarnu.org/lana-100000-kr]lana 100000 kr[/url] – basta lana 5000 kr, lana 3000 kr.

• November 16, 2017 at 6:21 pm

With havin a lot content and articles do you ever have any problems of plagiarism infringement? My blog has a lot of exclusive material I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

• November 17, 2017 at 6:29 am

Hello there, you’re certainly right. I always read your content closely. I am also thinking about Arvind Pandit, perhaps you might talk about that at times. I’ll be back.

• November 18, 2017 at 6:50 am

Hey there! I recently found this amazing site and I honestly like it. I always like to speak about bluestacks for windows 8 at times. Great to be around, cheers!

• November 18, 2017 at 5:04 pm

You are completely right, I would like to learn more information on the topic! I’m as well interested by opera mini for pc download as I think it is really quite cool these days. Thanks!

• November 18, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Hello there can you let me know which blog platform you are using? I’m seeking to get started on my own website on 9apps android soon although I’m having a tough time making a choice.

• November 22, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Good day! This is my first reply on this site so I really wanted to say a fast hello and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs which cover lucky patcher for android? I’m as well really fascinated by this! Thanks a lot!

• November 23, 2017 at 8:20 am

Howdy! This is my very first comment here so I just wanted to give a fast shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs that cover real estate for sale? I am likewise really curious about this! Thanks a ton!

• November 24, 2017 at 1:52 am

There are amazing modifications on the style of this site, I definitely like that. My own is dealing with outdoor wireless intercom and presently there are lots of stuff to do, I’m still a novice in web design. Take care!

• November 24, 2017 at 8:50 pm

You are a very bright individual!

• November 26, 2017 at 3:58 am

There’s awesome changes on the structure of this site, I definitely love this. My website is regarding instagram followers and likes and currently there are lots of stuff to be done, I am still a beginner in webpage design. Cheers!