Jong-nam murder rekindles interest in 1978 ‘abductions’

BANGKOK, March 5 — The murder of Kim Jong-nam at the KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) three weeks ago, has somewhat rekindled interest from a Japanese association on a mysterious incident that happened 39 years ago.

On  August 20,1978, four young Malaysian and a Singaporean women disappeared mysteriously after they were asked by a “Japanese” man to join a party on a boat off the republic’s coast.

The four Malaysian women who disappeared without a trace until now are Yeng Yoke Fun, 22, Yap Me Leng, 22, Seetoh Tai Thim, 19, Margaret Ong Guat Choo, 19 while the Singaporean was Diana Ng Kum Yim, 24.

Although both incidents occurred nearly four decades apart, they shared one uncanny similarity, that of deep suspicion that North Korean agents were behind the crime allegedly on orders from their supreme leader.

“We should investigate the case again (the 1978 disappearance incident), we are willing to assist relatives of the four Malaysian women in finding more information,” said the Association for the Rescue of North Korea Abductees (ARNKA) director Tomoharu Ebihara to Bernama recently.

Despite the scant information available on the four Malaysian women and a gap of 39 years since the day of the incident, he remains optimistic that someday he and his colleagues will unravel the mystery.

According to Ebihara, information on the possible existence of Malaysian abductees in North Korea was derived from testimonies of South Korean actress, Choi Eun-hee and former United States’ soldier, Charles Robert Jenkins.

Eun-hee was abducted in Hong Kong in 1978 while Jenkins deserted his unit and crossed into North Korea in 1965 and lived in the Communist country until 2004 before travelling to Japan to link up with a woman.

“According to Jenkins, he saw a picture of Yoke Fun (one of the women who disappeared in Singapore) and remember meeting a similar woman at an amusement park in Pyongyang between 1980 and 1981,” said Ebihara.

Eun-hee who had lived in Pyongyang until 1986 told she heard from a woman that a Malaysian couple lived in a separate residence in Pyongyang during her stay in North Korea’s capital, said the activist.

“That is the only information we have on the possible abductees from Malaysia,” he said, adding that information provided by Eun-hee and Jenkins were credible.

According to Ebihara, citizens from 12 countries were alleged to have been kidnapped by North Korean agents including from Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Jordan, Lebanon, Romania and France.

He said non-governmental organisations in Japan believed about 300 Japanese were abducted by North Korean agents, despite the official tally given by the government put it at 18 people.

Hundreds of South Koreans were also allegedly abducted by North Korean agents.

A sole Thai abductee, he said, Anocha Panjoy was abducted in July, 1978 while she was working in Macau, allegedly by the same “Japanese” man who was behind the kidnapping of the four Malaysian and a Singapore women a month later.

The “Japanese” man is believed a North Korean agent.

According to Ebihara, although it was difficult to pinpoint a reason behind the abduction, it was strongly believed that the abductees were used as a language or cultural teacher for future North Korean agents, among others.

“They (women abductees) are also kidnapped to become wives of foreign abducted men,” he said, citing Jenkins who was married to Japanese abductee, Hitomi Soga.

The Thai abductee Panjoy, said Ebihara, was also believed to be married with another foreign abductee according to information provided by Jenkins. — Bernama.

18 thoughts on “Jong-nam murder rekindles interest in 1978 ‘abductions’

• October 20, 2017 at 1:32 pm

I cherished up to you’ll receive performed proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an edginess over that you would like be delivering the following. ill certainly come more until now once more as exactly the same just about very steadily within case you protect this increase.

• October 30, 2017 at 9:39 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

• November 2, 2017 at 8:07 am

Hey. I recently discovered this page and I certainly like it. I want to chat about flirty pick up lines at times. Great to be here, regards!

• November 3, 2017 at 12:08 pm

There are actually great modifications on the structure of the webpage, I definitely like this! Mine is regarding best wireless headphones for gym and certainly, there are quite a lot of things to do, I am currently a newbie in website development. Thanks!

• November 3, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I do agree with all of the ideas you have introduced for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for novices. May you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

• November 16, 2017 at 11:48 am

Hey, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

• November 16, 2017 at 11:21 pm

There is terrific developments on the structure of the blog, I truly like that! Mine is about Arvind Pandit and currently there are quite a lot of stuff to be done, I’m yet still a rookie in web page design. Be careful!

• November 18, 2017 at 7:50 am

You are entirely right! I enjoyed reading this article and I will get back for more straight away. My own website is on garageband free download, you might check it out if you happen to be interested in that.

• November 18, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for discussing this, I saved this webpage. I’m furthermore seeking tips about vshare for android, do you know the place where I might find a thing like this? I’ll return in the future!

• November 22, 2017 at 5:29 pm

You are certainly correct, I’d really enjoy to know more information on the topic! I’m as well captivated by download kik for pc as I believe it truly is quite trendy lately. Great!

• November 23, 2017 at 9:12 am

You’re absolutely right, I would love to find out even more on the issue! I am as well interested in Darwin Horan since I believe it is really very cool these days. Great!

• November 23, 2017 at 9:08 pm

It was wonderful reading this info and I think you’re completely right. Inform me if perhaps you are thinking of residential intercom system, that’s my principal competency. Hope to hear from you soon enough, be careful!

• November 24, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

• November 25, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Admiring the dedication you put into this site and thorough information you present. It’s amazing to discover a blog from time to time that is just not the similar obsolete re-written information. Wonderful read! We’ve bookmarked your website and I’m adding the RSS feeds to our facetime for windows webpage.

• November 26, 2017 at 12:16 am

You’re absolutely right and I trust you. When you wish, we could as well chat regarding more twitter followers, one thing which intrigues me. The website is certainly brilliant, all the best!

• November 26, 2017 at 9:18 am