IGP: Warrant not needed in ex-journo’s wee hours arrest

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 19 — Top cop Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said today that an arrest warrant was unnecessary when the police nabbed ex-journalist Sidek Kamiso at his home in Petaling Jaya in the early morning before taking him to Johor for questioning.

According to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), no such warrant was needed as the alleged offence, over a tweet on the death of PAS spiritual leader Datuk Dr Haron Din, fell under the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) Act 1998.

“For this offence, a warrant is not needed. For offences under the MCMC Act, there is no need for warrants.

“There is no need for a warrant to detain and no need for a warrant to search homes,” Khalid told Malay Mail Online when contacted tonight.

However, Khalid did not specify what was Sidek’s offence under the MCMC Act, merely commenting that the he had allegedly abused the social media, which is covered under the said Act.

“Abusing social media under SKMM,” Khalid said when queried over the offence, using the Malay acronym for MCMC.

Sidek’s wife Norlin Wan Musa had earlier told Malay Mail Online that several plainclothes officer had entered their home compound at 4.30am to arrest her husband without explaining why he was arrested.

A court in Johor Baru however has denied the police a remand order to further detain Sidek for allegedly insulting Haron’s passing.

When contacted, Sidek’s lawyer Roger Chan said the police had applied for the remand order under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code at a Magistrate Court there, which allows for the detention of a suspect for more than 24 hours for an investigation.

According to Chan, the former journalist was taken to the court at about 4pm today, almost 12 hours after he was arrested from his home at Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya.

The 50-year-old man was taken in for tweeting about the demise of PAS spiritual leader Datuk Dr Haron Din, who passed away after seeking treatment for heart ailments on Friday.

The tweet has caused an uproar after Jelutong MP Jeff Ooi retweeted it from his account.

Ooi is now being investigated under Section 298 of the Penal Code, for allegedly intending to hurt the religious feelings of a person.

Khalid tweeted this morning that three people had been detained for allegedly insulting Islam over their comments on Haron’s death, with one detained in Shah Alam, Selangor, and another in Ipoh, Perak.

13 thoughts on “IGP: Warrant not needed in ex-journo’s wee hours arrest

• October 24, 2017 at 10:12 am

magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

• October 30, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Hello there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

• November 2, 2017 at 7:41 am

I always read your content closely. I am likewise curious about best quotes, perhaps you could write about this occasionally. See you soon!

• November 3, 2017 at 2:38 pm

You’re totally right and I totally trust you. When you wish, we can also chat about my router, a thing that intrigues me. Your site is certainly awesome, all the best!

• November 3, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Hey there this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

• November 11, 2017 at 6:29 pm

I frequently read through your content attentively. I’m also interested in coloured upvc windows, maybe you might write about this occasionally. Have a good day!

• November 16, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

• November 16, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Good day I am truly grateful I discovered your web page, I actually discovered you by mistake, when I was researching on Digg for Arvind Pandit Kansas. Regardless I’m here now and would simply enjoy to say thanks for a remarkable posting and the all round enjoyable blog (I furthermore adore the theme/design), I do not have time to read through it all at the minute however I have saved it and even added in your RSS feed, so once I have time I’ll be back to browse a great deal more. Make sure you do continue the awesome work.

• November 18, 2017 at 4:59 pm

It was actually wonderful to read this info and I believe you are completely right. Inform me in the event that you are looking into opera mini download for pc, that is my main competency. I’m hoping to see you soon enough, be careful!

• November 23, 2017 at 10:50 pm

It was actually amazing to read this and I believe you’re 100 right. Tell me if you’re curious about whole house intercom, that is my primary expertise. Hope to hear from you soon enough, cheers!

• November 24, 2017 at 6:38 pm

There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure good points in options also.

• November 26, 2017 at 1:36 am

I’m definitely loving the theme of your weblog. Do you come across any browser compatibility issues? Some of my own website audience have complained regarding my free instagram followers blog not working effectively in Internet Explorer yet appears very good in Chrome. Are there any solutions to assist repair this situation?

• November 26, 2017 at 9:39 am