Hurricane Madeline Threatens Hawaii

MIAMI, Aug 30 – Hurricane Madeline is expected to pass near Hawaii midweek, US weather forecasters said on Monday, threatening dangerous flooding and disruptions to a planned visit by President Barack Obama and other dignitaries.

Currently a Category Three hurricane, Madeline is expected to pass “dangerously close” to Hawaii’s Big Island on Wednesday, carrying heavy rain and strong winds, the US National Weather Service said.

The hurricane was some 575 miles (925 kilometers) east of Hilo, Hawaii at 0300 GMT Tuesday.

The storm has maximum sustained winds of 125 miles per hour, and was moving toward west-northwest at around 10 miles per hour.

Madeline was expected to begin turning gradually to the west, then move west-southwest Tuesday night into Wednesday.

It is expected to dump five to 10 inches (12.7 to 25.4 centimeters) of rain on Hawaii, with some areas receiving up to 15 inches.

“This rainfall may lead to dangerous flash floods and mudslides,” the NWS Central Pacific Hurricane Center said.

Madeline’s current path in the central Pacific could also coincide with Obama’s planned visit to Hawaii to kick off the World Conservation Congress, a major meeting of thousands of delegates, including heads of state, scientists and policy makers.

The International Union for the Conservation of Nature stages the World Conservation Congress every four years at a different location around the globe.

It is set to take place from Thursday to next Saturday.

Obama is scheduled to address the gathering on its opening day.

He is also expected to travel to Midway Atoll, inside a newly named protected area, where the president burnished his environmental bona fides last week by establishing the world’s largest marine reserve, home to thousands of rare sea creatures in the northwestern Hawaiian islands.

Meanwhile, another hurricane in the Atlantic, Gaston, was downgraded to a Category Two storm, US weather trackers said.

A Category Three hurricane earlier on Monday, Gaston was the first major hurricane of the Atlantic season.

The storm was packing top sustained winds of 105 miles per hour as of 0300 GMT Tuesday, around 600 miles east of Bermuda, the Miami-based National Hurricane Center said.

It was moving to the northeast at six miles per hour.

The storm was not an immediate threat to land, and was expected to remain near its current strength, picking up speed as it travels toward the northeast over the next couple of days, forecasters said. – NDTV

20 thoughts on “Hurricane Madeline Threatens Hawaii

• October 21, 2017 at 6:54 am

Hey there! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask. Does operating a well-established blog such as yours take a massive amount work? I’m completely new to writing a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

• October 24, 2017 at 11:44 am

You produced some decent points there. I looked online for the problem and found most people will go together with with your website.

• November 5, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

• November 6, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I must say, as a lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest after a while.

• November 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I frequently go through your site content attentively. I’m also thinking about upvc door locks, perhaps you might write about this sometimes. Good day.

• November 16, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Hey there I wanted to stop by. The text in your content seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d comment to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Cheers!!

• November 17, 2017 at 3:20 am

Hi, what do you feel around Arvind Pandit? Pretty cool issue, isn’t it?

• November 18, 2017 at 4:23 pm

I was talking to a friend of my own about this info and also regarding best new year quotes as well. I do believe you made a number of great points in this article, we’re also looking forward to keep reading information from you.

• November 22, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Howdy! This is my first comment on your site so I just wanted to say a fast shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your articles. Can you recommend any other websites which cover free facetime? I’m as well quite interested in that thing! Thanks for your time!

• November 23, 2017 at 1:56 am

Hey can you let me know which blogging platform you’re utilizing? I’m seeking to start off my personal website on online marketing strategies in the future although I’m having difficulties deciding.

• November 24, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Oh my goodness! an remarkable post dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing concern with ur rss . Do not know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there any person getting identical rss trouble? Any person who knows kindly respond.

• November 25, 2017 at 11:12 am

Respect to website author , some wonderful entropy.

• November 25, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Hi, I’m truly excited I found this blog, I really encountered you by mistake, while I was searching on Aol for router home. Nonetheless I’m here right now and would just like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and the overall exciting site (I also adore the design), I do not have enough time to go through it entirely at the minute but I have saved it and moreover included the RSS feed, so whenever I have sufficient time I’ll be back to read a great deal more. Please do maintain the excellent work.

• November 26, 2017 at 2:01 am

I always go through your site content attentively. I’m also curious about twitter followers, maybe you could write about this sometimes. Cheers!

• November 26, 2017 at 12:59 pm