Cops will ‘hunt down’ Setapak shooters, IGP says

KUALA LUMPUR, July 28 ― Police will “hunt down” the men responsible for the shooting and killing of a moneylender in Setapak yesterday, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said today.

“We will hunt them down. They cannot escape anywhere,” Khalid said during a press conference here today.

He however said that the police is yet to determine if the killing was gang-related and that no arrests have been made so far.

The shooting of the moneylender in broad daylight at a traffic light junction in Setapak is the latest addition to a growing list of similar incidents which have taken place this year.

Khalid also said the shooters are believed to be still in the country.

“We believe they are still here,” he said.

The moneylender, in his 30s, was shot at least 12 times by two men who alighted from two motorcycle and started firing through the windows of both the driver and front passenger side of the Honda he was in.

Two other men waited on the motorcycles and helped the perpetrators flee the scene right after the incident.

According to surveillance footage of the incident, the shooters were not wearing masks. – MMO.