Johnson hails ‘glorious’ Brexit as G20 issues warning

LONDON, April 16 — London Mayor Boris Johnson yesterday launched a scathing attack on Brussels, urging Britons to vote for a “glorious alternative” free from “the whims of unelected bureaucrats,” as official campaigning began ahead of a referendum on Britain’s EU membership.

With G20 leading economies warning of the threat to global growth if Britain voted to leave, Johnson told a rally in Manchester, northwest England, Britain could thrive outside the bloc.

Activists from both camps hit the streets yesterday, firing the starting gun on a tense battle over the nation’s future, the British people’s first direct say on Europe in 41 years.

“It’s time for us in this country to speak up for millions of people around Europe, tens of millions, who think like we do, who share our anxieties, who are fed up with the remoteness of Brussels,” Johnson told the crowd.

“If we hold our nerve and we’re not cowed and we vote for freedom and we vote for democracy on June 23 then I believe this country will prosper and thrive as never before,” he said.

Opinion polls suggest the British public is evenly split 10 weeks ahead of the vote, which could bring down Prime Minister David Cameron and plunge one of the world’s leading economies into uncertainty.

G20 finance ministers meeting in Washington listed Brexit among other factors that “complicate the global economic environment,” a day after IMF chief Christine Lagarde urged Britain and the EU to save their “long marriage” through dialogue.

‘It would be a disaster’

In the “Remain” corner is Cameron, who says Britain has a “special status” within the EU thanks to a renegotiation he sealed in February, and that the country will be richer and stronger if it stays in.

In Covent Garden in the heart of rain-soaked London, anti-Brexit volunteers were handing out leaflets to workers during their lunch breaks yesterday.

“Financially, it would be a disaster if we left the EU,” said Gael Simmonds, wearing an “I’M IN” T-shirt.

Robin Phelps, 38, added: “There is a narrative saying ‘In’ voters are not so enthusiastic. I’m not sure that’s true because I think when the reality dawns that it can be risky, they’ll turn out.”

However, John Curtice of Strathclyde University, Britain’s leading poll expert, said the evidence available so far consistently points to “Leave” voters “being keener to make it to the polls.”

“We absolutely think we’re going to win it,” Peter Reeve, a spokesman for the UK Independence Party (UKIP), told AFP as he campaigned in Peterborough — a market town in eastern England where an influx of East European workers has angered many locals.

Overall, the “Remain” and “Leave” camps are neck-and-neck on 50 per cent support, according to a poll of polls run by academics at the What UK Thinks project, with around one fifth of voters undecided.

‘Straightforward and candid’

Cameron has said he is confident of winning the poll, despite the opposition of ministers in his own government and around of a third of his Conservative Party MPs.

“Remain” supporters can also count on the backing of US President Barack Obama, who will head to London next week to join an international chorus of leaders imploring Britain not to leave the EU.

His foreign policy adviser Ben Rhodes said the president would be “very straightforward and candid… as to why the US believes that it is good for the UK to remain.”

But Johnson called Obama’s stance “hypocritical” saying the United States “would not dream” of accepting restrictions on its sovereignty like the ones Britain has because of its EU membership.

Cameron’s campaign has the support of the main political parties and some of the country’s biggest employers. — AFP

15 thoughts on “Johnson hails ‘glorious’ Brexit as G20 issues warning

• October 24, 2017 at 8:54 am

I just like the helpful info you supply for your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and test once more right here frequently. I’m somewhat sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

• October 30, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I am glad for writing to let you understand what a useful discovery our princess experienced browsing yuor web blog. She even learned too many details, including what it’s like to have an ideal teaching mindset to let a number of people quite simply comprehend several very confusing topics. You really surpassed our own expectations. Many thanks for showing those warm and helpful, safe, educational and even easy tips about this topic to Sandra.

• November 3, 2017 at 8:14 pm

It is best to take portion in a contest for one of many best blogs on the web. I will advise this web site!

• November 13, 2017 at 8:47 pm

You made some respectable factors there. I appeared on the internet for the problem and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

• November 16, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100 positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

• November 17, 2017 at 1:12 am

Howdy, you are definitely right. I frequently look over your articles attentively. I’m likewise fascinated by Arvind Pandit Kansas, perhaps you could write about that from time to time. Take care!

• November 18, 2017 at 6:57 am

I always look over your posts closely. I am likewise considering bluestacks download for windows 7, maybe you might discuss that at times. Have a nice day!

• November 18, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Hello there, what do you think on the subject of opera mini for pc? Really awesome matter, huh?

• November 18, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I was conversing with a friend of mine about this info and about 9apps fast download games as well. I feel you made a few very good points here, we’re also looking forward to keep reading stuff from you.

• November 22, 2017 at 7:47 pm

You are absolutely right and I definitely agree with you. When you wish, we might also speak around lucky patcher download android, something which fascinates me. The site is really impressive, regards!

• November 23, 2017 at 8:07 pm

You are totally right, I’d really enjoy to know new information on this particular subject! I am also fascinated by building intercom system as I consider it is very cool these days. Keep up the good work!

• November 24, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Really enjoyed this post, how can I make is so that I get an update sent in an email when you write a fresh article?

• November 25, 2017 at 4:07 pm

You’re certainly right, I would really like to know a lot more on that topic! I am as well curious about zapya free download for android as I feel it truly is very trendy presently. Keep up the good work!

• November 25, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I’m really interested to know what blog platform you are using? I’m having a few small safety difficulties with my most recent site dealing with how to get more likes on instagram and I would love to find a thing a lot more risk-free. Do you have any suggestions?

• November 26, 2017 at 10:48 am