Kerala Wedding Sadhya: The Making of a Grand Feast

There’s a certain harmony that shines through even in the most crowded Kerala Hindu weddings. Despite the omnipresent glint of gold ornaments, traditional weddings are marked by a distinctive elegance and simplicity. The traditional Nair wedding is over in a flash – one bad traffic signal and you could miss the entire ceremony! While other communities across India are always tempted to compress their long drawn wedding rituals, Malayalees have a different sort of problem.

The short and sweet weddings are a complete contrast from the wedding feast. The Kerala Sadya (literally means banquet) is an elaborate meal with at least 20 different items (We dare you to count with a full tummy) and is almost always a vegetarian affair served for lunch. Until the latter half of the 20th century most weddings used to be held at the largetharavads (family homes) of the bride. The sadya used to be a community event with neighbours getting involved in the cooking process (sometimes a few days in advance) and pitching in with utensils. The dynamics have changed and the biggest challenge for contemporary wedding cooks is to cater to crowds that can exceed 1000 with assembly-line precision.

Almost every region in Kerala stakes a claim to the best Sadya but popular opinion usually points to the erstwhile South Malabar region – Palakkad, Thrissur and Ernakulam where some wedding cooks boast of hallowed reputations. The Sadya is not just served during weddings but also for other occasions like landmark birthdays while a slightly abridged version is standard fare during festivals like Onam (the harvest festival) and Vishu (The New Year). Like most other traditional banana leaf meals in Southern India, the top half of the leaf is reserved for the accompaniments while the bottom half is for the staples and mains. The dishes are usually served from left to right. We give you a quick overview of the traditional Kerala Sadya:

Pickles: There’s usually a choice of two pickles. The finely chopped raw mango pickle where the mango is not marinated for a long period of time and seasoned with chilli powder and mustard seeds. But the winner is the Puliyinchi, a unique hot and sweet (thanks to the combination of jaggery and green chilies) ginger paste that is half chutney-half pickle.

Kerala (raw) banana chips: There’s the usual suspect – the mildly spicy variant with turmeric and chili powder and then the unique Sarkara Upperi where the chunky banana chips are cooled down and then tossed in a mixture of jaggery syrup, dried ginger powder, cardamom, rice flour, powdered sugar and cumin seeds. These chips are usually reserved for festive occasions and are not easy to come by in the ubiquitous Kerala chips stalls around the state. You might also be served raw Jackfruit chips during the monsoon season.

Thoran: A simple and regular accompaniment in typical home-style meals across Kerala. Finely chopped vegetables (the wedding feasts usually feature cabbage or beans) are stir fried at a high temperature with grated coconuts, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric. It’s quite similar to the ‘Poriyal’ in Tamil Nadu except that the Kerala version uses a generous quantity of grated coconut.

Kaalan: Often mistaken for another festive dish – the avial, this dish uses a completely different cooking process which is fairly uncomplicated. A tuber (mostly yam) or occasionally raw plantain is cooked with thick yoghurt and spices like fenugreek, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper, curry leaves and a few drops of ghee over a low flame.

Olan: The mild flavour of the milky white Olan might remind you of the more popular Kerala stew (usually served with Appams). At many weddings these dishes are interchanged. Usually made with Ash gourd (occasionally pumpkin too) and black eyed beans simmered in thick coconut milk with a hint of green chilli and curry leaf flavours. Sadyas in Southern Kerala (Travancore region) sometimes serve a More kootan – vegetables cooked in that is similar to the more kuzhambu in Tamil Nadu or the Rajasthani Kadi.

Avial: One of the best known members of the Sadya family, this mishmash of vegetables is cooked in curd and ground coconut seasoned with curry leaves and coconut oil. A few communities in Tamil Nadu make their own version of the Avial. – NDTV Food

37 thoughts on “Kerala Wedding Sadhya: The Making of a Grand Feast

• September 7, 2017 at 8:36 am

Great post. Slightly offtopic, I am in the midst of getting my girlfriend a steamy present and I am thinking along the lines of lingerie. I am currently looking at Peaches and Screams (peachesandscreams.co.uk) and was wondering whether anyone has any experience with this online lingerie shop? What would you guys recommend I get my girlfriend? The last thing I want to do is offend her so I am looking for sensible lingerie suggestions – nothing too extreme. Thank you in advance!

• October 15, 2017 at 7:42 am

I am typically to running a blog and i really recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and keep checking for new information.

• October 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for this terrific post! I really liked reading it.I’ll be sure to take note of this website and will return in the future. I want to encourage you to keep going with the fine job, perhaps think about omega xl too, have a great evening!

• October 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much for discussing this, I saved this webpage. I am furthermore seeking guidance around aptoide for android, do you know the place where I can come across a thing such as that? I will come back quickly!

• October 17, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Your means of telling all in this post is genuinely pleasant, all can without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.|

• October 24, 2017 at 9:41 am

I appreciate, cause I found exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

• October 24, 2017 at 1:55 pm

30561 221476Very informative and great complex body part of articles , now thats user pleasant (:. 669757

• October 30, 2017 at 10:58 pm

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

• November 3, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I’d need to examine with you here. Which is not something I often do! I enjoy reading a post that can make individuals think. Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!

• November 4, 2017 at 2:53 am

I truly enjoy looking through on this web site , it holds superb content .

• November 4, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Great, bing took me stright here. thanks btw for post. Cheers!

• November 7, 2017 at 4:13 pm

It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a site, which is good in support of

• November 16, 2017 at 11:43 am

What i don’t realize is actually how you’re not really much more well-liked than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You realize thus significantly relating to this subject, made me personally consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated unless it’s one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!

• November 16, 2017 at 11:15 pm

I am really curious to find out which site system you have been working with? I am having a few slight protection difficulties with our most recent blog regarding Arvind Pandit Kansas and I would like to find one thing much more secure. Do you have any suggestions?

• November 18, 2017 at 4:56 pm

There are remarkable improvements on the layout of this site, I really like it! Mine is relating to opera mini 8.1 and currently there are plenty of things to be done, I’m yet still a rookie in webpage design. Be careful!

• November 20, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I conceive you have mentioned some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post.

• November 21, 2017 at 9:32 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

• November 22, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I enjoy what you are now up to. Such cool effort and coverage! Carry on the awesome effort friends, I have you on free facetime app website.

• November 23, 2017 at 2:15 am

Hello could you inform me which blog platform you’re utilizing? I am seeking to begin my very own website on online marketing tips and tricks in the future although I am having a hard time deciding.

• November 23, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Hi there! This is my first reply on your site so I simply wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your posts. Can you suggest any other sites that deal with wireless intercom? I am also pretty curious about that thing! Thanks for your time!

• November 24, 2017 at 3:52 pm

My wife and i ended up being quite more than happy Edward managed to deal with his researching through the entire precious recommendations he made from your web site. It is now and again perplexing to simply happen to be making a gift of tactics which a number of people have been trying to sell. So we see we now have the website owner to thank for this. The most important explanations you made, the straightforward blog navigation, the friendships you help to create – it’s got all extraordinary, and it’s letting our son in addition to our family do think this topic is excellent, which is certainly quite vital. Many thanks for everything!

• November 24, 2017 at 10:37 pm

766397 240861Hi there, just became alert to your blog via Google, and identified that its truly informative. Im gonna watch out for brussels. Ill be grateful if you continue this in future. A lot of men and women will probably be benefited from your writing. Cheers! 227239

• November 25, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Ha, here from yahoo, this is what i was browsing for.

• November 25, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Hi can you tell me which blog platform you are utilizing? I’m looking to start my very own blog on xender free in the future yet I am having trouble making a decision.

• November 25, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Hi there! I just discovered this excellent website and I honestly like it. I also love to talk about more followers on instagram sometimes. Great to be here, thanks!

• November 26, 2017 at 9:13 am